Human Trafficking – Stopping The Cycle
Last night, Love Your Life Ministries with Facess held the first human trafficking awareness effort in our local area. It was an incredible night: so many people in our community had their eyes opened to the atrocities that exist not only across the world, but down the street.
There are an estimated 16,000 people trafficked in the US alone EACH YEAR, though due to the difficulty of maintaining and regulating this despicable practice, this number is likely much higher. These numbers keep rising and awareness continues to drop. As Christians–no, as human beings–we need to “open [our] mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open [our] mouth, judge righteously, and DEFEND THE RIGHTS of the afflicted and needy.” (Proverbs 31:8-9)
I am so on fire from this event and so excited by the outpour of response:
- A local teen will be interning with Facess (the organization who assisted with the campaign)
- A local retired police officer will continue connected and working with Bob Smith of Facess
- A group of local women will be volunteering with the Facess recovery and retreat retreat center for trafficking survivors
- A local teacher is eagerly raising awareness and prevention at his school, where a student disappeared from last year, likely becoming another victim in this epidemic
- Many attendees are now driven to eliminate human trafficking and are eagerly learning and helping in this fight
The night was a tremendous success in not only raising awareness of current victims, but also in prevention. Parents were taught how to educate and protect their children and youth were guiding through red flags and warning signs. Overall, this was a God-inspired and God-blessed evening..
What are your thoughts on human trafficking? What awareness exists in your community? Do you think your community would benefit from an awareness session.