Quality Instead of Quantity: Less Can Be More…And Even Better!
Quantity seems to be the speed of life nowadays. Do you talk on the phone while mopping the floor, brush your teeth while making your bed, or eat a breakfast bar while driving your car? Does busyness take away from the quality of what you are trying to accomplish in your life?
Here are 4 steps to help you enjoy living a life with quality results through evaluating the following areas of your life.
Step 1 – Your Weekly Schedule
“Sow with a view to righteousness, reap in accordance with kindness; break up your shallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord. Until He comes to rain righteousness on you. You have plowed wickedness, you have reaped injustice, you have eaten the fruit of lies; because you have trusted in your way…” –Hosea 10:12 -13
What should you be doing (what are you doing)? For one week, at the end of each day write out on a piece of paper or in a notebook your day’s activities. Include everything from the moment you got up to the moment you went to bed.
- When you did this, did you notice how your time was spent?
- Did this surprise you?
- Did you do what you wanted to do?
- What was the quality of what you did?
Step 2 – Your Passion
“I have seen that nothing is better than that man should be happy in his activities, for that is his lot. For who will bring him to see what will occur after him?” –Ecclesiastes 3: 22
What is it that you are you passionate about?
- Write a list of what you are passionate about.
- Write by each item on your list what it is you love to do.
- Write after each one how you performed it, in quality or in quantity.
When you did this, what did you find out about yourself? How much was done with quality verses how much was done in quantity? Are you seeing any benefits to time spent with quality?
Step 3 – Your Mission
“He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end. I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime; moreover, that every man who eats and drinks see’s good in all his labor-it is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him.” –Ecclesiastes 3:11-14
Do you know what God’s mission is for your life? Do you know your spiritual gifts? If you do not, contact us today, we would love to help you.
- Write in your week’s schedule which items help you to fulfill your mission and/or passion.
- Write in which items became a distraction of what you were trying to accomplish.
- Behind each part of your weekly schedule, decide which tasks are the ones you think God wants you to do.
Step 4 – Your Life
“There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven…” –Ecclesiastes 3:1
This is the step that is easier said than done.
- Pray to God for wisdom and clarity in how to change.
- Focus on what God wants you to do and make this your priority.
What items on your list should you eliminate?When you stop and see the results of what you are doing in life, it can be life changing. Doing less and achieving more can be a great benefit.